Week 8 Capsule: We had another battle of the unbeatens, this time on Thursday night and North Caroline defeated Kent Island in that one and deserve to move up a spot over the Bucs. Caroline’s lone loss was to #1 Stephen Decatur. It was the first time KI has lost back-to-back games since October 2019.
Stephen Decatur took care of Wicomico and improved to 8-0 for the first time in school history. However, as HC Jake Coleman pointed out their first win was by forfeit so you can put an asterisk next to it this week. If Decatur defeats Parkside this Friday, then you can say the program is 8-0 on the field for the first time in school history. Also, of major note Stephen Decatur won the Bayside Big School Championship for the first time since 2004.
BTW Washington, who lost two weeks ago to Kent County 24-14 had multiple scores for the first time as a program since 2019 when they scored 12 points in a 55-12 loss to Cambridge-SD on October 11th.
Your thoughts are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Some stats courtesy of Bill Haufe and The Star Democrat/Dave Ryan of Bay-to-Bay News
Bayside Conference Football Week #8
Power Poll/Game/Team Notes
1. Stephen Decatur (8-0)-The Seahawks took down Wicomico on the road last Thursday 41-10 and with the win captured the Bayside Conference Big School Championship (2A) since 2004. QB Brycen Coleman had 5 TD passes, 2 each to Tribe Wise and Gavin Solito and 1 to Davin Chandler. The defense had another solid outing. …Next Game: Friday vs. Parkside-6pm
2. North Caroline (7-1)-The Bulldogs defeated Kent Island at home 21-14. All the scoring in the game took place in the 2nd quarter. Zymir Smith had a huge game with a 90-yard TD run, a 30 yd INT return for a TD and an 81-yard TD reception. The first score was made possible by a big QB Nasai Bell run on a 3rd and 13. Smith had 9 carries for 117 yds in total. Bell was 4-6 for 125 yards in the air. A shanked punt by KI gave NC good field position at midfield for the Bulldogs first offensive drive of the game but they were unable to score on the opportunity. The defense bended at times but did not break as the Bulldogs have put themselves solidly in the 2nd seed in the 2A East for the playoffs…Next Game: Friday at Colonel Richardson-6pm
3. Kent Island (6-2)-The Bucs lost on the road to North Caroline 21-14. It was their second straight loss for just the first time in four years. The Bucs got down 13-0 early (one of those scores a pick six by Zymir Smith of Gavan Henry on a pass to Tucker Claxton) but bounced back and drove for a score capped off by a Nathan Green TD to make it 13-7. NC would respond with another score only to see KI respond with another drive capped off by a Nathan Green TD to make it 21-14 but that would be all the scoring in the game. RB Shane Bogardus carried 32 times for 204 yards and a TD. RB Nate Green had 5 carries for 39 yards-1 TD, and RB Austin Holland finished with 30 yards on seven carries. On defense Giuseppe Mellinger had nine tackles — two for loss — for Kent Island, and Brady O’Neal had seven tackles, three for loss. Tucker Claxton had an interception, and Lloyd Price and Bogardus each had five tackles. KI did have a few other drives into NC territory but could never capitalize. An early shanked punt giving NC good field position did not end up hurting the Bucs who forced QA to punt on their offensive possession. There was a 4th down and long play on their 2nd offensive drive, a run play that was surprising. A holding on a completion to Tucker Claxton ended up forcing a punt on what was a promising drive on KI 3rd possession. On Ki’s 3rd offensive possession in the 2nd half Gavan Henry missed a wide open WR which would have gone for a TD. Later in the series NC’s Timmy Morris stuffed a 4th and 3 run play forcing a TOD…Next Game: Friday at Queen Anne’s-6pm
4. Queen Anne’s (5-3)-The Lions defeated Parkside at home on Senior Night 17-0. The Lions led 10-0. WR Jadereon Thompson had a 75 yd receiving TD from QB Lance Arnold in the win. TE/RB Jai Roy had a TD and K Seth Blackwell had a 33yd FG. The Lions have won 3 of the last 4 and continue to cement themselves as the # 4 seed in the 2A East…Next Game: Friday vs. Kent Island-6pm
5. Cambridge-SD (6-2)-The Vikings defeated Washington 52-6 at home on Friday. The Vikings went up 21-0 early behind touchdowns by RBs Majestic Jones and Sterling Perkins and a throw from QB Blake LaBelle to RB Anthony Hughes in the closing seconds of the 1st Quarter. The 2nd quarter guaranteed a running clock in the second half, as the Vikings went up by more than 35 points after scoring runs by RBs Jaden Ferguson and Kayion Marine and a catch by WR Semaj Pinder from LaBelle to make it 42-0. Through all the scoring, and with a slippery ball with the pouring down rain, K Wil Reinbold proved his reliability, missing only one extra point in the game. In the 3rd Qtr, William Jackson added to the scoring, making it 48-0 after a failed 2-point try. RB Ra’Quan Cornish had the last touchdown of the game for the Vikings…Next Game: Friday at Easton-6:30pm
6. Colonel Richardson (4-4)-The Colonels got back on the winning track with a strong 57-8 victory over Kent County in a 1A matchup. The Colonels swept all the 1A teams this season. Defensive tackle Chatydrick Pickrom started the scoring with a strip sack for a touchdown. Derrick Mitchell had touchdown runs of 8 and 24 yards. QB Tarron Hammond threw a 20-yard TD pass to T.J. Wenger and a 27-yard scoring strike to Dominque Caven. Collin Brewer (27 yards), Dylan Cecil (8) and Carter Turbitt (10) also had touchdown runs for the Colonels. However due to their loss to Nandua, VA as we thought they slipped to the #4 seed in the 1A East and possibly cost themselves the chance at hosting a playoff game…Next Game: Friday vs. North Caroline-6pm
7. James M. Bennett (3-5)-The Clippers defeated Easton at home last Friday 35-16. It’s the first time they have had 3 wins in a season since 2019. Leading by just 4 at the half the Clippers would score on 3 of their next 4 possessions to seal the win. QB/WR/Wing Zakai Smullen had a rushing and receiving TD. RB Jorryn Smith had 2 rushing TDs and QB Liam Nelson had a TD pass. On Special Teams Myles Jarmon had a KO for a TD…Next Game: Friday at Wicomico-6pm
8. Parkside (3-5)-The Rams fell on the road to Queen Anne’s 17-0. The game was 10-0 at the half…Next Game: Friday at Stephen Decatur-6pm
9. Wicomico (1-7)-The Indians fell at home to Stephen Decatur last Thursday night 41-10 dropping their 6th straight game. The defense had an uncharacteristically tough game, albeit against a very good offense. The Indians offense continues to struggle...Next Game: Friday vs. James M. Bennett-6pm
10. Easton (1-7)-The Warriors fell on the road in Salisbury to James M. Bennett last Friday 35-16. They held the lead twice and only trailed by 4 at halftime, 14-10. The offense which moved the ball well in this game was led by QB Dustin Blue who went 13-19-135 yards with a TD pass to Carter Mooney. Blue also had a rushing TD. RB Kyree Acree had 15 carries for 89 yards. K Jed Smith hit a FG in the first half. HC Matt Griffith said the chunk plays they are giving up on defense has hurt them this season…Next Game: Friday vs. Cambridge-SD-6:30pm
11. Snow Hill (4-4)-The Eagles fell at home to Northampton, VA 34-28 losing their 4th in a row. The Eagles are looking to close the season strong with a win and host a home playoff game in the 1st round...Next Game: Friday at Kent County-6:30pm
12. Kent County (1-7)-The Trojans fell on the road to Colonel Richardson 57-8 in a 1A matchup. We heard the Trojans played without their starting QB…Next Game: Friday vs Snow Hill-6:30pm
13. Washington (0-7)-The Jags fell on the road to Cambridge-SD in a 1A matchup 54-6. Freshman Jacob Smith had a fumble recovery that set up the Jags only touchdown of the night by WR J’Kwon Smith…Next Game: Friday vs. Nandua, VA-6pm